2017 Advocacy Day Details
Registration is required to attend. If you wish to have a display/table you must register by February 3. We recommend sending two representatives for your organization.
View Registrant List
February 28, 2017
7:30-8:30 Load-in and set up museum display tables
8:45-9:30 Introductions and Orientation (mandatory attendance)
9:30-2:00 Legislator Contacts and Rotunda Displays
Visit https://utahstatecapitol.utah.gov/visitors-tours/directions-parking for more information on directions and parking. Please be sure to follow parking signs.
Why You Should Attend
This is your opportunity to speak to your legislators on behalf of your institution! Suggested talking points include:
- Utah’s diverse and thriving museum community benefits the state’s cultural tourism portfolio and contributes a measurable, positive impact on the state’s overall economy.
- Continued legislative support for museums will help safeguard Utah’s cultural legacy for future generations of visitors and residents.
How to Prepare for Museum Advocacy Day!
- Familiarize yourself with your institution’s legislators. Visit www.le.state.ut.us for more information.
- Create a quick fact sheet about your museum. Include your mission statement, how many visitors you served in the past year, a description of what your institution has accomplished with the help of OMS grant money (if applicable), and general contact information.
- Emphasize “substance over style”… Museum Advocacy Day is less about “Show and Tell” and more about communicating the need for continued legislative support.
- The American Alliance of Museums has great resources.